Hi babes! Ok, I doubt this is a surprise to you if you have been following me for awhile but I LOVE CHRISTMAS! I 100% start decorating the first part of November because it makes me so dang HAPPY! I also try to add new decor and change up existing decor just a little bit each year.
So, when I came across this gorgeous Christmas garland I knew I wanted it! I then thought about how I would need 3 strands for our door and to put that kind of money on the outside in the Illinois elements I just couldn’t do it. The colors also didn’t exactly go along with my other Christmas porch decor so…. I decided to take this as inspo and create the same look in the colors I wanted but a fraction of the cost.
If you prefer to just buy this is from Grandinroad. It really is absolutely beautiful!
What You Will Need
- garland ( I did 2 9ft strands)
- ornaments ( I used 165 different size ball ornaments. You could do different shapes less or more too)
- Floral wire ( I used the precut straight strands)
- Floral Picks ( This is optional. I used 17 picks. I may add more once up but for now I love it)
- Lights (optional! I haven’t added any and I am not sure if I will or not at this point)
- command hooks ( I plan to hang mine with command hooks when its time to decorate
- First measure the garland with your doorway or where it is going. Once I figured out how long I needed to go down the entire side of the door and top I did have to overlap my garland a touch at the top. Once it is all put together you can’t really tell that it is fuller on the top and it won’t look bad if it is.
The Garland is from Hobby Lobby. Above I linked Amazon Garland options. Some are lighted some are fuller. The ones from Hobby Lobby are $11.99 each but at 50% off right now they were a steal! The ends of the garlands have wire loops. Attach the strands together using the loops but once you add ornaments with the floral wire the garlands will secure together with those too.
- Once you have the two together its time to fluff the greenery out a bit. You will most likely do more once it is up but it will help when adding the ornaments.
- Next open up your ornaments and place them around the greenery. This will help you make sure you evenly disperse the colors and styles throughout.
I purchased most of the ornaments from the Dollar Store and about 6 boxes of ornaments from Hobby Lobby. The ones from Hobby Lobby were $7.99 a box but again they were 50% off so it ended up being just $24 for those. Above I linked some bulk Amazon options.
- Once you have the ornaments spread around its time to attach them. Start at the bottom and work your way around to the other end. To start, attach the end of the floral wire around the garland. Make sure it is secure. Then add an ornament or 2 wrap the wire around the garland and add more. Continue to do this until the floral wire has just enough wire left to secure it to the garland tightly. I kept everything rather tight so the ornaments wouldn’t move a ton. You can add as many or as few ornaments as you want. I continued to do this all the way around the garland.
- Next, if you plan to add any floral picks place them around your garland to decide where they should go. I ended up buy more picks than I ended up using. I picked 2 similar but different picks and did them every other.
- When you are ready to secure your picks tuck the stem in but leave enough out that you can wrap around the garland to secure. If your floral picks do not have a good wire stem just secure with more floral wire.
- Once your picks are attached then just wrap them into the ornaments however you want them to look.
If you are adding lights….. it will depend on what kind for when to add them.
If you do regular Christmas lights I would add them first before doing the ornaments.
If you are doing fairy lights I would add them either before the floral picks or after.
A step by step video
Thanks for story by! XOXO
This blog post does contain affiliate links. What does that mean? It means I make a small commission if you make a purchase from the link in this post. You do not pay any extra to use my links. My commission comes from the retail store as a thank you for the referral.
It also means every time someone makes a purchase from my links… I do a happy dance! Thank you for your support and following me!
Please make sure to give me a follow over on Instagram too!