Everything tastes better around a campfire, right? Growing up we spent a lot of time around a campfire and I have some of my favorite memories from those times! One summer my grandma made us campfire pies and the first time she made them I have to say I was a little concerned about her sanity. I mean she put pie filling on bread and called it a pie…. Well surprisingly they were and are freaking delicious and have been a family favorite for a VERY LONG time!
I recently introduced my in-laws to these pies and I think they too questioned my sanity. Long story short they loved them and then introduced their friends to them too! So, I thought it was time to share them with all of you!
Now, you can technically make these in your kitchen just like you would a grilled cheese but I definitely recommend a camp fire or firepit and a Pie Iron.
I hope you all enjoy them as much as we do!
- Campfire Pie Iron (linked in notes) and a campfire
- 2 Slices Bread
- 1 Can Pie Filling
- 1-2 Tbsp Cinnamon Sugar
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the buttered bread into the pie iron. Butter side should be in contact with the iron.
- Add pie filling to one side of the bread.
- Close Pie Iron and cook over campfire unitl toasted. You can open and check. The first pie will take the longest while the irons heat up but if you make more the rest will take less time.
- Once toasted to perfection, place the pie on a plate and cover with cinnamon sugar. Flip and do both sides!
This blog post does contain affiliate links. What does that mean? It means I make a small commission if you make a purchase from the link in this post. You do not pay any extra to use my links. My commission comes from the retail store as a thank you for the referral.
It also means every time someone makes a purchase from my links… I do a happy dance! Thank you for your support and following me!